Thursday, November 29, 2007

I love Spam

Not those annoying e-mails titled "Ringtones.net" or "Congratulations! $500 JC Penney's Gift Card!" but those salty pink blocks of deliciously processed pork shoulders. Koreans love this stuff. We use it in kimchi chigae (a spicy kimchi stew), diced and mixed in with our omelettes, or fried in thin layers and eaten straight up with rice. But how to revamp this slab of saliferous satisfaction for even more gastronomic enjoyment, that is the question. Luckily, I have a few answers!



Why not take an old favorite like Spam musubi and turn it into a pleasing hor d'oeuvre? Instead of wrapping it sushi-style, cut the Spam into fun shapes using a miniature cookie cutter mold and lightly fry the pieces--just enough to get an even browning over the surface, but not crispy. I made a batch of sushi rice using sugar and rice wine vinegar, rolled them into balls, drizzled a bit of teriyaki sauce and set it on top of strips of unsalted nori (seaweed laver). Spam is full of sodium in itself, so don't get too crazy with the sauce now. Moderation is key.



If musubi ain't yo thang, try something a little more familiar like this Spam pizza. (Those cookie cutters came in handy for this recipe as well.) Since I was short on time, I used a ready-made Boboli crust and topped it with tomato sauce, fresh mozzarella, and Spam stars. Pop it into the oven for about 20 minutes at 450 degrees, and bada bing bada boom. You've got yourself a quick, college student-friendly meal.



I modified this recipe for Spinach Cheese Swirls from puffpastry.com, Pepperidge Farms' ingenious website dedicated to the light and flaky pâte feuilletée. I didn't have any Muenster on hand, but I did have plenty of Spam. Its bold, salty flavor complemented the neutral tastes of the spinach and pastry perfectly. A great appetizer for family get-togethers or potlucks.

Now I love processed meat, but even for me there is such a thing as too much Spam, as a friend helped me realize with her Spam Jello concoction:



Yep.

After seeing--no, smelling--this pink gelatin, I had no desire for Spam for at least a day. Fortunately, I got over it and made Spam fried rice later that week.

No comments: