Friday, November 2, 2007

New home!

ep·i·cu·re·an [ep-i-kyoo-ree-uhn, -kyoor-ee-]
–adjective
1.fond of or adapted to luxury or indulgence in sensual pleasures; having luxurious tastes or habits, esp. in eating and drinking.

Now that I think about it, I'm not that "epicurean," although I am Korean (and "The Epicurean Korean" has a nice ring to it). I LOVE food, but the luxuriousness of a particular dish doesn't really matter to me. Whether it's from the Chateau Marmont in Hollywood or my mom's kitchen, good food is good food. I do appreciate the efforts put into the occasional fine cuisine, though...anyway, I digress. Perhaps I'll learn to develop an epicurean palate, but for now, I'll have my pollo asada fries from Roberto's in SD over a fancy teaspoon of duck liver pate, any day.

My first food recommendation for this blog isn't even in America. Over the summer, a few friends and I went down to Mexico on a quest for some lobster, a sunny beach, and bargain shopping with the vendors by the Mexican/U.S. border.

























We ran into a few of Nacho Libre's friends along the way.



















We also found the most beautiful beach. Even the sand was beautiful! It looked like there were flecks of gold in it, so depending on the angle of the sun and where you were standing, everything would shimmer.



















And then we hit the jackpot: the $15 lobster deal.



















Oh yes.



















Promptly as we sat down at our table, we were served some of the best chips/salsa/guacamole/rice I've EVER had. Hands down. As an amateur aficionado of Mexican cuisine, I rescind my allegiance to all the Mexican restaurants I used to frequent. Maybe it's because we were actually in Mexico, and I've been deprived of authentic Mexican food...but THIS is what Mexican food is supposed to be. The lobster was succulent, but I wouldn't mind driving another 2.5 hours for the guacamole. The next time you happen to be in Rosarito, Mexico, you can't leave without trying the lobster!

No comments: