Tuesday, November 27, 2007

Now back to the good stuff.

Of the entries I've written so far, only one has actually been about food. I should change my name, because this Korean hasn't been too epicurean lately. But what better way to make a comeback than to do a recap of the most food-centric day of the year?



The only thing I love more than the Thanksgiving meal itself is the time I get to spend at home with my family. Even though I'm usually put to work with cleaning, cooking, or running to the market to pick up some last minute items, being away at college has made me appreciate my family so much more. I guess the age-old adage, "Absence makes the heart grow fonder," really is true!



I know turkey is a Thanksgiving staple, but my mom's honey-glazed ham steals the show every year. The way the brown sugar caramelizes to form a crackly outer layer over the moist, juicy fare within...oh succulent slab of meat, you slay me!



My aunt is known for her fantastic dips. She takes these overlooked appetizers and turns it into ooh-and-aah-worthy bowls of heaven that almost make you forget about the main course to come. The avocado dip (top) is a deceptively simple mixture of avocados, tomatoes, and red peppers, with salt and pepper to taste. Her shrimp ceviche (bottom) is a bit more complicated, with shrimp, tomatoes, cilantro, and several other ingredients I couldn't quite identify (and she refuses to tell me, lest she give away her secret). Both complemented the saltiness of the plain tortilla chips excellently.



My aunt also makes a mean baked yam. Cooked to perfection, and deliciously orange every year. Who needs marshmallows with yams like this? Like they say, don't mess with a good thing.



After the ham, this was my favorite dish. Okay, technically creamed corn is considered a "side" and not a dish, but if you only gave me a vat of this to eat for dinner I'd be happy. My mom took this recipe from the Summit House restaurant in Fullerton (how she managed to score the actual recipe card is beyond me). Corn, butter, sugar, and lots and lots of heavy cream = bliss.



Penne pasta with littleneck clams in two sauces: arrabbiata and alfredo, in case you only wanted one. Or the other. Or both.



My meager contribution to the menu: a Chinese-chicken salad, done Korean-style with dried ramen noodles and sliced almonds instead of fried wontons. I made a dressing using a recipe off of Simply Recipes, and tossed it with sliced raw cabbage and romaine lettuce. The romaine was an afterthought, because more people came than expected and I had to increase the volume of the salad somehow (and I had already used up my head of cabbage). It got the job done, at least.



A fruit platter and another shot of the salad.

After a long day of cooking, basting, broiling, boiling, and frying, what better way to end the day with...more cooking! Yep, even after dinner, the kitchen ain't closed.



Rather than wasting a good turkey, we boil the bones to make stock for soup.



Add a few vegetables and leftover turkey meat, and voila! Turkey soup for the rest of the week!





Not only did we stuff our stomachs with food on Thursday, but the other four senses were indulged with these lovely bouquets of flowers our friends and family brought.

Hope all of you out in the Internet world also had a blessed Thanksgiving. There is much to be thankful for!

No comments: